Sunday, March 1, 2009

Weekend Makeover & Um... Another Scale.........

Greetings all! Hope you had a great weekend! Here we are at the start of a new week. We are still working on getting better at our house.....slowly but surely. These sniffles seem to hang on forever!

My hubby and I went to a flea market this weekend. I came away with a couple goodies! O.k...I will start with my scale...yes I said scale. This one is a 60lb scale, in really great condition and the face of it has just the right amount of "wear" and it's a bigger face than my other ones too, it was unique & it was $12.00 so I snatched it up~



Then I got this little "beauty". Hmmm well I guess it's far from beautiful but I saw its potential! I call it my Fake "Firkin" For Five Dollars! Say that five times fast! Haha! Here is the before picture~



Here is the lid. These letters were NOT fun to get off! I think they were written with black permanent marker and then orange florescent permanent marker over that! It took some elbow grease but I got all the letters off!


And here are a couple after pictures. First I painted on a really light cream color, almost looked butter yellow, then I painted tan over that. Sanded it/distressed it and then put a walnut stain over it. I am not sure that I "love" the way the lid came out so I might be doing a bit of re-painting and re-sanding... we'll see~




Not sure where I will put it yet.....but I am rearranging my kitchen a bit to make room for this and my scales. Decorating is always a work in progress I guess! I left lots of goodies behind at the flea market..... a couple ladders some crocks, some wooden mashers and paddles, some great old windows for $8....I paid $30 for the one that I have...(ya that was an expensive lesson to learn) Yikes. It was so fun to look around...but a girl has to make some tough choices sometimes! And I am happy with mine today!
Have a great Monday everyone! I have a few projects on deck this week...my flea market makeover kind of changed my weekend. So not sure what I will work on next. My kids are starting to take quite an interest in my painting...they want to do it to. So I am thinking of having some sort of project day for them! They would love it! Until next time. Take care. ~Sarah~

7 comments:

  1. Great finds Sarah!
    I have one too and I found it for 5.00 at a yard sale only it didn't have the letters on the lid:) I did mine sort of like you did and I love it.
    Glad you found another scale...you really have a collection now:)
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scale and the firkin bucket makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - I love that scale and the fake firkin looks absolutely WONDERFUL after your makeover. That is definitely what you call a MAJOR makeover and it looks so good. Yep, I would be proud of that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    You find the best stuff. I love your scale and your "fake" furkin. I hope everyone gets over that nasty bug soon. Have a great week.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the makeover on it! Looks a whole lot better! Love your scale too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah ~~ Love your collection of scales, all
    really neat and good prices. Your makeover
    on the firkin is great...good job.
    Hope the whole family will be over their colds soon.
    Hugs ~ Connie xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a fake to be proud of. And the scale is great! You need a new bucket bench or something just for your scales to showcase them. Can't wait to see the kitchen rearranged!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting & for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate and enjoy each & every one! ~Sarah~